April 2, 2014
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (3-4 pound) beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 4 large carrots, peeled, trimmed, and sliced on the bias into 1- inch pieces
- Handful of chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium- high heat until hot. Add the brisket and brown on both sides, 5-7 minutes per side. Transfer the brisket to a platter and set aside. In a bowl, combine the wine, ketchup, and 1 cup of water and set aside.
- Line a large roasting pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil, leaving enough overhang to seal over the brisket.
- Sprinkle the soup mix on top of the brisket. Pour the reserved liquid mixture on top of the brisket. Place the carrots around the brisket, making sure they are covered with the sauce. Sprinkle parsley over everything.
- Tightly seal the foil, encasing the brisket and all the other ingredients inside the packet. Cover the pam, then place in the oven and braise until fork-tender, about 3 ½ hours. Transfer the brisket to a cutting board and slice the meat against the grain to the desired thickness. Serve with the sauce and carrots.